Friday, April 15, 2011

Ashley's Tattoos

*This is Ashley's interview only! There will be pictures soon! :)




What is your tattoo? Depending on how you look at it, I have either 5 or 7 tattoos total.  From the order I got them, they are: a circle, an infinity symbol, three little birds, the symbols for Led Zeppelin, and the words She. Will. Supply. (which is on three different parts of my body but I got it all at once, hence the confusion at quantity) J

What prompted you to get this tattoo? The first tattoo I got when I was sixteen, was to commemorate the loss of someone very dear to me.  From here, I got the fever.  And have been getting tattoos ever since. 
(I truly love them.)

 What special meaning or significance does this tattoo have to you? Different reasons for all of them of course, so I’ll just talk about the last one I got.  The reason I got it on three different parts of my body is because I like the meaning of both the phrase holistically, and the meaning of each separate, individual word.  She will supply- just basically a reminder to always take care of myself (and also a lyric from a Tori Amos song which I love).  But on their own, She. (which is on the back of my neck) just stands for everything feminine. Also, I really like language- so the simplicity of just the singular feminine pronoun is to me, prime.  Will is on my lower back and I wanted it there as a reminder of my own autonomy, right at the base of my spine.  And then Supply. ( on the inside of my right foot) is again, just a reminder to both rely on and provide for myself, by myself.    

Do you regret getting a tattoo? Never!

Do you feel like you are judged or excluded from activities because of your tattoo? Why or Why not?  Like Paul said, it depends on who I am around.  In some ways, people prejudge me negatively because of the tattoos that I have, or maybe even because I have them at all.  In other situations, I think it gives people a reason to approach me, which serves to actually open up some social lines.  In a reverse way, I like my tattoos because the reactions that people have about them (or in some cases, a non-reaction) are often pretty telling as to whether or not I’d like to get to know them more.  (reverse tattoo discrimination yayyyy right?). 

Do you feel people with tattoos are generally accepted in this day and age? Why or why not?  I would like to think it is at least going in that direction, yes!  More and more people have tattoos, so it’s inevitable that as it moves more into the mainstream, it will become less of a subject or practice that’s considered so low brow or taboo. 

If you could do it all over again, would you get this same tattoo and same placement? Why or why not? Yes! All of mine are very special to me, and couldn’t go anywhere on my body other than where they are. 

Do you plan on getting any more tattoos? If so, what are your ideas (if you have any)?
Oh so many more! The next thing I get will definitely be mountains on my back.  The thought has crossed my mind also, to someday get a super bright, big assortment of flowers on and across my chest.  We shall see….  

No comments:

Post a Comment