Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lauren's Tattoo

What is your tattoo?: The graphic is a treble clef and a bass clef sign in the shape of a heart (this is a pretty popular graphic for music people). The phrase says, “Vita Brevis, Ars Longa” which is Greek for “Life is short, art is long.”
What prompted you to get this tattoo?: I was with a friend on vacation in Chicago, and I wanted to do something that I have never done before. I knew that I wanted a tattoo for a long time and had thought about this one for a while before deciding to get it. The tattoo place almost couldn’t get me in because my friend and I were both walk-ins. I was nervously waiting around for about a half an hour before they told me they could get me in. It was one of the scariest things I’ve ever done. But now that I’ve done it, I want to do it again. 
What special meaning or significance does this tattoo have to you?: I wanted to get a tattoo that I knew I would never get tired of and always mean something to me. I have performed music almost my entire life. I have even composed a couple songs for the piano. I have played piano for about 15 years, violin for about 10 years, and have sung professionally since I was 8. Joining Sigma Alpha Iota (the music sorority on Truman’s campus) sealed the deal on the tattoo. The phrase, “Vita brevis, ars longa” is our open motto. Several other girls in my sorority have this phrase tattooed somewhere on their bodies. I did not get the tattoo because of that, but because I thought the phrase would be something I could live by the rest of my life. Also, the tattoo is located on my left back shoulder. I am left handed, so my left side is my dominant one. Music is a passion that will always be dominant in my life. ALSO, the fact that the phrase is Greek is important, as I am Greek multiplied by three. In my time at college, I have joined three Greek organizations: Alpha Gamma Delta (social), Alpha Sigma Gamma (service), and Sigma Alpha Iota (music).
Do you regret getting a tattoo?: I did immediately after I got it only because I had NEVER done something like that in my whole life. I absolutely love it now.
Do you feel like you are judged or excluded from activities because of your tattoo? Why or Why not?: No, mainly because my tattoo is hidden most of the time. Actually, a lot of people don’t even know I even have one. Even my own father.
Do you feel people with tattoos are generally accepted in this day and age? Why or why not?: Yes, if they are not distasteful with them. I still think older generations have a lot of issues with them because of the stigma that no one can be seen as “professional” with tattoos.
If you could do it all over again, would you get this same tattoo and same placement? Why or why not?: YES YES YES! This tattoo is not just something I like, it is a passion for me. It is something I will love for the rest of my life.
Do you plan on getting any more tattoos? If so, what are your ideas (if you have any)?: Yes, although I have not had very long to think about another one. I just got this one last summer. Another thing that is very important to me is the image of a woman. By the zodiac, I am a Virgo, and a very strong one at that. I am also a Women & Gender Studies minor and feminist activist. I have also thought about a quote from my favorite book or poem or something, as I am also a literature enthusiast. 


Tattoo Encyclopedia Interpretation of the Treble Clef and Bass Clef tattoos: 

Both of these symbols are primarily found on musicians or music enthusiasts, but the treble clef is much more common than a bass clef.












  

1 comment: