Thursday, April 14, 2011

Emily's Tattoos

What is your tattoo?
I have two tattoos.  One is a stylized heart tattoo on the inside of my right ankle.  The other is the words “Wind Beneath My Wings” write in cursive on the middle of my back.
What prompted you to get this tattoo? 
The first tattoo I got for no reason other than wanting a tattoo.  I had turned 18 a week before and wanted to do something to sort of commemorate the occasion.
The second tattoo I got three years after the first.  Some friends were planning on getting a tattoo, and I had wanted a second tattoo for a while.  So, I joined them.
What special meaning or significance does this tattoo have to you? 
The first one does not have much of a meaning.  I think of it as a reminder to follow my heart, since the tattoo is placed upon my ankle.
The second tattoo holds so many meanings.  My paternal grandmother, Eileen, was always one of my role models and was such a kind person.  She died when I was in 8th grade and I still cannot think about her without crying.  After her death, my grandfather gave me a porcelain music box that my grandmother had ordered for me before her death, which played the tune of “Wind Beneath My Wings.”  The phrase stuck with me, not only because my grandmother was one of my biggest supporters, but also because of her passion for birds.  I got the tattoo to remind me of her, and I placed it on my back in a place that would be, literally beneath my wings, if I had any.
Do you regret getting a tattoo?
I don’t regret either tattoo.  The only regret I felt was immediately after, due to my hesitance to tell my parents and to see their negative reactions.
Do you feel like you are judged or excluded from activities because of your tattoo? Why or Why not?
It really depends on the group of people I am around.  The only time I feel judged is when I am in a group setting with people who talk about how they never want to get a tattoo.  There are times when people can make the idea of a tattoo feel dirty, and it is easy to get offended by that.
Do you feel people with tattoos are generally accepted in this day and age? Why or why not?
Again, I really believe that it depends upon the situation.  In my generation, I think that having a tattoo is more of a common occurrence.  However, around my parents’ generation, I find that they question the point of tattoos and often view tattoos as “ruining” a body.  It is also a common discrimination in the workplace, and people often have to hide their tattoos during an interview process.  I can’t wear a skirt because of my ankle tattoo, or I can, but I have to make sure to cover the tattoo.
If you could do it all over again, would you get this same tattoo and same placement? Why or why not?
I would never change my second tattoo.  It holds so much meaning that I can’t think of any tattoo I would rather have.  I am sure if I had more time, I could have probably thought of something better for my first tattoo, but I still like it and I definitely wouldn’t change its placement.
Do you plan on getting any more tattoos? If so, what are your ideas (if you have any)? 
I have thought about getting another tattoo, but at this point I have no idea where I would put it or what it would be.  There isn’t anything meaningful enough for me to spend money to have it permanently put on my body that I can think of.  

Tattoo Encyclopedia: There aren't any entries for the words, obviously, but there is an entry for the heart flash. The heart symbol has an obvious meaning of love and affection. 


No comments:

Post a Comment